Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Knit One, Purl One

Our resident knitting fanatic, Collection Development Librarian Lori Gluckman, has arranged an innovative and fun idea for this year's conference: an ongoing knitting lounge*!

Don't worry if you've never even picked up a pair of needles before or if you think "casting on" has to do with broken bones. If you are interested in a knitting lesson while attending, please let Lori know by e-mailing her at lgluckman@sunymaritime.edu. If there is enough interest, she may set up lessons.

From expert to beginner, we invite you to stop by the knitting lounge when you have a few spare moments. You can unwind after a long day's worth of sessions, puzzle out your problems with a fellow knitter from another campus perhaps, or trade some of your unused yarn for a new find in our knitting lounge stash.

The lounge will be in a common area of the dormitory and open to all throughout the conference.

Don't forget to sign in when you come by -- otherwise you won't be eligible for any of the fantastic prizes we've got for you. I'm not kidding about the fantastic part -- soft Berroco yarn, craft gloves, lace kits, an ultimate sweater machine, etc. You won't want to miss out!

* Crocheters are more than welcome as well -- we just all happen to be knitters around here. Show us what you've got!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not a librarian (though mother to one), but I am envious. Why don't the conferences I go to have knitting lounges?

Anonymous said...

I'm not certain that having a knitting lounge does anything for The Librarian Stereotype, but I'll totally be there, working on my seemingly endless Tatami sweater. Stereotyping be damned!

Lori Gluckman said...

I know what you mean Jenica, but I must admit that I'm addicted to the craft. When I had an opportunity to incorporate a knitting activity into the conference, I jumped at it. By the way, the sweater looks awesome!

I've gotten a few e-mails and positive feedback. So far though, no one seems interested in lessons. Please don't be shy! E-mail me at lgluckman@sunymaritime.